Don't call me Ms.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Is there a comedy Steve Carell isn't in?

I went to see Bewitched with a friend today and loved it! It was completely vacuous and utterly charming. Yes, I know the critics have universally panned it, but I think Will Ferrell is one of the funniest men alive. He did not disappoint. There was nothing surprising or terribly artistic about it, but did anyone really expect that? I do so enjoy a romantic comedy...now if only I could get my boyfriend to go to them with me. Oh, and to explain the title of the post - Steve Carell makes an appearance toward the end as Uncle Arthur and he was also the star of one of the previews, The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Now on to more important things...
I'll save my take on the recent Supreme Court vacancy for another day, but there is a current event I feel I need to address. Obviously, the terror attacks in London today were horrible, and all our prayers should be with the victims and their families. It just makes me even more mad, though, about the people I see around town everyday with posters and bumperstickers and t-shirts criticizing the war in Iraq. During the 2004 election when a protester stopped me on the sidewalk and asked who I was voting for I said Bush. He responded by asking me why I liked war so much. War is not good or fun - no one enjoys it - but sometimes it is necessary. There is evil in the world and it needs to be stopped. American (or British or Spanish) troops leaving Iraq will not change that. There would still be people who hate us and want to kill us and our way of life. The more we can do to spread freedom in the world, the less likely they are to succeed. It is not easy work but, fortunately, that's not going to stop the United States of America.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home