Don't call me Ms.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Movies! Movies! Movies!

I know I promised more frequent posting before, but I really mean it this time. And here are the first of the reviews I promised. But first, I must explain. I'm not a film or literary critic. I only lasted three weeks before withdrawing from Film Analysis in undergrad. However, I like movies and television and reading, and I think my superficial analysis could be helpful the next time you're in Borders or obsessively re-ordering your Netflix queue. Come on, I know I'm not the only one that adds, deletes, and rearranges the DVDs on that magical list on a near-daily basis. Disclaimer accomplished...here we go...

Kind Hearts and Coronets
This classic features Alec Guinness in the role(s) of the eight members of the D'Ascoyne family that stand between Louis Manzzini and the Dukedom. It was delightful. The understated humor was quite refreshing. It was a cute little story and very well done. And there was something kind if neat about watching an "archive print" of it.

The Natural
I really don't think I need to say much about this movie. If you like baseball, you will love it. Even if you don't like baseball, you'll still like it...Robert Redford, Glenn Close, Robert Duvall, what more is there? This movie deserves its legendary status.

Wedding Crashers
Brash, bawdy bad boys...mmmmmmm. This was completely disgusting, and I shudder to think there are men who actually behave this way. (I know, there are some worse.) However, it makes for a ridiculously hilarious summer movie. And look for Will Ferrell toward the end in a great little part - funniest man alive.

Secondhand Lions
This is a cute little story featuring two excellent actors - Robert Duvall and Michael Caine. They play a couple of quirky old coots with a great story. It's a traditional coming-of-age tale in some ways, but not too trite, like so many are. The whole family could watch this movie.

Hotel Rwanda
This is a very powerful movie and Don Cheadle gives an excellent performance. Only watch this if you're in the right mood; it's not a Friday night date movie. That being said, more people need to be aware of what happened (and is still happening) in Africa. I'm generally inclined to think the US should not be the world's policeman, but there are some things that are just so atrocious that we cannot in good conscience allow them to happen. This is an excellent, compelling movie - just be aware of what you're getting into.

OK, I think that's enough for now. I'm always happy to offer suggestions. Check back soon for another installment - either deliciously awful summer television or the books I've read since not having to read any more casebooks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home