Don't call me Ms.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

AI: Top 8

Tonight the top eight finalists will be butchering songs recorded by Queen. I don't even need to see the performances to know one thing - Elliott (Bucky, Ace, and Kellie, take your pick) is no Freddie Mercury. But hey, who doesn't love "Arena Rock"? I really hope somebody sings Fat Bottom Girls!

Bucky - Fat Bottomed Girls - Of course my least favorite would sing one of my favorite songs ever. This sounds more like Skynnrd than Queen - it is NOT a country song. He's so dull. Boooooooo. I hope whoever sings Bicycle is better.

Ace - We Will Rock You - Huh? My high school pep band handled this song better. This is just weird. And I'm hating the leather pants. But it was worth suffering through to get a quick shot of Mickey Dolenz in the audience. I wonder if episodes of The Monkees are out on DVD.

Kellie - Bohemian Rhapsody - So she's not just naive, she really is dumb. Why on earth would you take on one of the single most iconic songs EVER? Fortunately, I will never know just how awful this performance was, as my cable seems to be going haywire - it's silent and pixelated. This better be remedied quickly or Comcast will be getting (yet another) angry call from me. Wait, Simon just said it was good?

Chris - It looks like Chris is singing now, but there's no sound, so I don't know what he is singing. How am I supposed to make wise cracks now?

Ok, so it only took me 10 minutes and a commercial break to remember I have another television that would not be affected by the cable wonkiness.

Katharine - Who Wants to Live Forever - Interesting choice, but good. She's really showing off her voice. Good call, I think the song change paid off.

Elliott - Somebody to Love - Not only is he no Freddie Mercury, but he's also no George Michael. (I know he's gay, but what pre-teen girl didn't love the video for "Faith"?) Elliott seemed to be channeling Rich Mullins tonight. (I was going to go with Kirk Franklin, but that gives him too much credit.) This song was tough and could have really solidified his place as one of the top contenders, but he just missed.

Taylor - Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Taylor might want to rethink the whole dancing thing, but I thought this was a good song for him. Wow, now that is an entertainer! Best vocal of the night, in my opinion. And Simon probably is drunk at the judges table, how else could he sit next to Paula all night?

Paris - The Show Must Go On - Paris is pretty hit-or-miss, but tonight was a hit. I'm not as familiar with this song as I am some of the others, but I'm liking her performance. And the extensions look much better this week than they did on 21st Century night.

After catching the recaps - Kellie was in fact good this week. And I still don't know what song Chris was singing, but it sounded the same as everything else he's ever sung.

Who's Out? I think Ace may be back at the bottom this week. His performance this week was kinda funky...in the smelly cheese way, not the musical way.

Ok, gotta go call Momma LAKHawk and wish her a Happy Birthday now.

Toodle-oo

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home