Don't call me Ms.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

AI does Elvis

Ok, a quick summary of last night's performances before tonight's elimination.

But first, I assume everyone noticed who was glaringly absent from the list of the numerous artists Tommy Mottola has guided. (hint: it was his ex wife)

Taylor - "Jailhouse Rock" and "In The Ghetto"
This should have been Taylor's night but he fell a little short of wow-ing me. I enjoyed his performances, as usual, and I didn't think there was anything technically wrong. However, I just can't ever hear "In The Ghetto" without thinking of Eric Cartman. And Simon is overusing the "Karaoke" insult this year.

Chris - "Suspicious Minds" and "A Little Less Conversation"
I didn't think he was as great as the judges. I like both of these songs, and he performed them ably, but it was just ok for me. It was nice to hear him doing something not-as-screamy. But come on, "Suspicious Minds" was on the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack and isn't "A Little Less Conversation" the theme on NBC's Las Vegas? I'm not sure how his Rocker base will respond to that.

Elliott - "If I Can Dream" and"Trouble"
First, I would have hoped he would have known the title to his song, it's can not could. Elliott seems to have found his niche with the whole crooner vibe. Great, in theory, but he just doesn't have the look and personality to really sell it. His voice is growing on me - when he controls the vibratto - but he'll just never be my favorite.

Katharine - "Hound Dog/All Shook Up" and "Can't Help Falling in Love"
I think Kat did well this week, given that she was a woman trying to sing Elvis. Her first selection, a medley of two fun hits was adventurous. Her second performance, though, was very disappointing. She totally oversang the end; it would have been much more powerful if she'd backed off a bit. Those ballads are her bread and butter, she should have owned it, but just gave an adequate performance her second time out.

I have no idea who will exit this week. I hope not Kat, but I'm afraid she's pretty vulnerable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home