Don't call me Ms.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

AI: Final Five

Tonight each of the five remaining finalists will be singing two songs - one from the year they were born, and one from this week's Billboard Top 10 charts. I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say I will know all of the "old" songs, even those sung by the two finalists older than me, but I will know no more than 2 of the current hit songs. The following are the presets on my radios (car and alarm): 94.7 True Oldies, 94.9 the Lite, 97.1 The Drive, 98.7 WFMT (classical), 99.5 US99 Country, 100.3 Love FM, and 104.3 JACK.

Elliott, 1978, George Benson's "On Broadway" - This song always makes me think of LeVar Burton and Ben Vereen. I think of both of them because I can't remember which one it was that I first heard singing it. I know we all have fond memories of Reading Rainbow, but does anybody else remember Zoobilee Zoo? I was watching RR with my nieces and they were shocked that I watched in when I was their age. I believe the words, "wow, this show has been on a very long time" were uttered. Anyway, by the length of this entry, you may have surmised that Elliott was just average. Yeah he has a good voice, but his performance certainly didn't pull my attention away from my reminiscences.

Paris, 1988, Prince's "Kiss" - Interesting. This is not a song that you "sing." It was ok, but nothing special.

Chris, 1979, "Renegade" - I guess there are three contestants older than me! Ewwww, back to the same-old, same-old from Chris. This is why I don't like hard rock, it all sounds the same to me.

Kat, 1984, "Against All Odds" - Ahhhh, the Eighties. I'm so glad she chose a song that allows her to show off her talent. (hint, hint, Paris) It was a little lacking in energy, but her voice made up for it.

Taylor, 1976, Wild Cherry "Play That Funky Music" - This is the perfect song for him! Great energy, but it also showed vocal talent. Best of the "retro" performances.

Elliott is back with "Home" by Michael Buble (Album?). I have the taste of a middle-aged woman, so I like Michael Buble. However, I don't like Elliott Yamin, and I really don't like him doing Michael Buble. It's the same feeling I had when he sang "It Had to be You" and I was upset because he's not Harry Connick, Jr. If you're going to be a crooner, you have to have the looks to match the voice. And he doesn't. Oh, and the singing itself wasn't that great either.

Paris "Be Without You" by Mary J. Blige (R&B). This fit Paris. The girl can sing, and she showed it on this song. I'm still not sure it will be enough for her this week, though.

Chris "I Dare You" by Shinedown (Modern Rock). Yep, so far I'm 1/3 with recognizing songs. We've established I don't like rock music, but I guess Chris is good at being a rocker. It's just not my thing, so that's the best I can muster to say about this performance. And if singing two songs (even if you sing them each five times) is too much for his voice, how will he ever tour?

Kat "Black Horse & the Cherry Trees" by KT Tunstall (Adult ). I don't get it. This is just weird. The song is decent, I could listen to it. But why is she on the floor? She got into it though, and really sold it. This was good. She's done and it's still growing on me. Good.

Taylor "Something" by the Beatles (Pop Catalog). Is it really fair to sing a song from this chart as your contemporary pick? It's Taylor, so I'll give him a pass. He sings quite well - effortlessly moving from the quiet mellowness to the power spots. I enjoyed this.

I fear for Paris and Kat(harine) this week. I would kick Elliott or Chris off, but we'll see tomorrow night. See you tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home