Don't call me Ms.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

AI: Top 7, Standards

This week's American Idol blogging will be consolidated into one entry. I was out of town (home for Easter) and am frantically speeding through my DVR of last night's performances before tonight's elimination. Sorry I missed Bucky's ouster last week, but direct angry tirades on that subject to Comcast.

American standards AND Rod Stewart?! Could we be any luckier? Ok, so I'm serious about the genre and only half-serious about the VSMG.

Chris - What a Wonderful World - This is one of my favorite songs. Yes, I know I have a lot of favorites, but I really love music, so lay off. It was quite refreshing to see a different side of Chris, finally. He did well.

Paris - These Foolish Things - She looked a little old in that suit, but damn that girl can sing! Very Billie. This was amazing.

Taylor - You Send Me - More Sam Cooke!!!! I need to find a man that can sing songs like this to me. *swoon* This man has got a heck of a voice, and his "moves" didn't even bother me much this week. Fantastic.

Elliott - It Had to Be You - I know before I hear a word I won't like it because Elliott doesn't look like Harry Connick, Jr., the dreamiest man ever. He's doing an ok version, but this isn't nearly as good as the previous three have been. I'm catching a hint of Sammy Davis in his tone tonight, and that's not a particularly good thing. Paula did NOT just compare him to Harry! She really is on drugs.

Kellie - Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered - Her dress is too tight and the twang is not working for me. Those first couple of lines sounded like she was singing with a mouth full of marbles. And here come the pitch problems. She has got to go soon. Ewwwwwwww, please make it stop! I thought it couldn't get any worse, but OMG, she's wearing body glitter.

Ace - That's All - I do so love a man in a good suit. And getting that hair under control is a step in the right direction, too. Unfortunately, it's becoming painfully clear this week who has the real talent, and it's not Ace. And the falsetto wasn't even that objectionable this week. He wasn't the worst, but he's not the best, either.

Katharine - Someone to Watch Over Me - So many great songs to choose from, I can see why she's having a hard time picking. It would be great to have another woman on the charts singing this kind of music. Move over Diana Krall, here comes Kat. She handled this song like a pro, with that little hint of sultriness and pining. And what great range. At least we're finishing on a high note, like the show started.

Unless "Vote for the Worst" comes through, I think Kellie will be gone this week.

********

And we're back. And my cable is messed up again. Comcast will be getting yet another belligerent phone call.

But more importantly, VSMG Rod Stewart! Who doesn't love classic '70s rock? I heisted my sister's Queen's Greatest Hits CDs this weekend. I had to cleanse my mind after last week's debacle.

The Way You Look Tonight - This song will be played during the dance portion of my wedding reception. But sung by Tony Bennett. It's hard to believe this man ever sang a song that included the line "If you want my body and you think I'm sexy." He's one of the creepier aging British rockers, though he's still a distant second (or third?) to The Rolling Stones.

Now let's get on with Ryan's elimination antics. But first, we must scare everyone half to death with a preview of next week's theme: Andrea Bocelli and love songs.

Two groups:
Elliott on the far side
Chris staying close
Paris sticking close as well
Kellie is sent to the far side
Ace is on the near side
Kat is going across to the far side

Taylor obviously can't be in the low group because either group he joined would make four. And Ryan just confirmed that, but he's making Taylor pick favorites. Ouch. Way to upset the group dynamic, producers. Even if he guesses the correct group (the one that isn't the lowest three), there is no "right" answer. Somebody is going to be upset either way. Taylor is joining Chris, Paris, and Ace, but is warned away. Kellie, Elliott, and Katharine are safe, with Taylor. It so better not be Paris. I can see Chris's fan base not being motivated by the genre this week. And Paris is safe - phew.

I agree with Simon, this is probably the end of the road for Ace. And he is out. Finally - no more falsetto or lingering camera gazes!

See you all next week for love songs!

"LAKHawk Out"

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home