Don't call me Ms.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Grammar Police

I like to think I have fairly decent grammar. I didn't major in English or Linguistics or anything unemployable like that, but the UI Tippie College of Business takes writing quite seriously. And before that, my mother took the English language quite seriously. I mean, how many people had their junior high and high school assignments proofread at the kitchen table with a red pen? Many of my good friends consider themselves "grammar nazis," especially Law Fairy. (And they still speak to me, so I think I'm safe.) So here is my contribution to carping about how people are just lazy and ignorant with their English these days:

Baby-Daddy and Baby-Mama

Anyone who has heard pre-"Hey Ya!" Outkast knows these terms refer to a biological parent (of your child) with whom you are not romantically involved. ***Tabloid writers take note*** Tom Cruise cannot be a baby-daddy, as he is engaged to the mother of his newest child. K-Fed cannot be a baby-daddy, as he is actually married to the mother of his children. I know such a situation is increasingly unusual these days, but is it really that confusing for you all?

For more on this latest symptom of the decline of civilization, see this Slate article.
And for what looks like it would be a very tasty summer cocktail, see this drink recipe: The Babymama.

2 Comments:

  • While normally I am a major grammar nazi, I have to say I find the improper usage of baby-daddy pretty humorous. Like, we all get that Tom Cruise and K-Fed are "comitted" to their respective lady-friends... but something about those unions just seems... so... WRONG. If the improper usage is a subtle slam on the parties involved, well, I feel like I'm kinda okay with it.

    I'm still of the opinion Katie (er, "Kate") will emerge a multi-gazillionaire in a few years. I just feel bad for poor little Suri (and Preston). I think the only kids unluckier than those two are Prince Michael (I and II) and Paris Michael.

    By Blogger Law Fairy, at 2:20 PM, May 23, 2006  

  • jeesh, and there I go misspelling "committed"

    By Blogger Law Fairy, at 2:21 PM, May 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home