Don't call me Ms.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

AI: Three is a magic number

I'm a little late tonight because I've spent my day (and evening) outside at my parents' in Iowa doing some serious yard work and garage cleaning. So it's 11, and I'm just now watching the tape of American Idol and House. That's right, tape, as in VCR. Yep, I've been slumming it. I'll post more about my adventures in gardening later, but for now, on with the show...

Tonight, each of the three finalists - Taylor, Elliott, and Katharine - will sing three songs - one they choose, one chosen by the judges, and one selected by "legendary music producer, Clive Davis." But before anyone sings, two questions: Where did Ryan lose his razor? and Why is Randy booing Simon?

Hmmmm, so we have Clive Davis to blame for Barry Manilow AND Kenny G. And anything Britney and Justin Timberlake have put out recently.

Clive Davis picks:

Elliott - Journey's "Open Arms"
- This song was chosen to let Elliott show off the power of his voice, but he's sounding a little rough this week. Maybe the competition is getting to him. Like his over-used vibratto is getting to me. This was dull, definitely not final three material.

Katharine - R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly" - "A modern day classic." really? REALLY? I mean, I liked Space Jam as much as the next person, but modern day classic? Yeah, kind of like how TNT has decided any movie it shows on Friday night is a "new classic." This is a good sound for her - the best she's sounded in weeks, even. Very powerful.

Taylor - Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" - This should be interesting. It's kind of like the Jersey version of Sam Cooke and the songs he was singing during auditions. The performance was fine, he was comfortable, he was having fun. The best of these first three songs.

Judges' picks:

Elliott - "What You Won't Do For Love" - Paula chose this song for "the funky white boy with soul." That's disturbing in so many ways. She's disturbing in so many ways. And I'm sorry, but I will just never ever ever never get into him singing songs about love. This does fit his voice well, but it's a little dull. Again.

Katharine - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - Simon has had this one in mind for her for a long time, so it better be good. But why is she sitting/kneeling/laying on the floor again? WOW. I don't care about the choreography anymore, she was awesome. Simon was right, this was the moment for her. Amazing. My mom thought so too. She so better make the finals.

Taylor - "You Are So Beautiful" - Randy picked this because he gets a Joe Cocker vibe from Taylor. Well duh. This was a solid performance - nothing too flashy, but appropriately tender and well-done. I think it's clear after this round who the two finalists should be.

Contestant pick:

Elliott - "I Believe To My Soul" - Why on earth would you pick a Ray Charles song with Taylor still in the competition? Again, nothing special. And he was back to being unintelligible. This should have made me want to move, but there was absolutely no energy in this groove, just some yelling and warbling. Bad all around. Too bad making your mom proud and making the finals aren't the same thing.

Katharine - "I Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues" This was interesting and kind of fun, but it was a bit of a let-down after her last song. She's not Ella, but she's good. I think an album she would make is one I would actually think about buying.

Taylor - "Try A Little Tenderness" - Otis Redding, imagine that. But there's a reason he goes back to these songs. Mom thinks he was awful, but I kind of liked it. It was fun, it fit him, it was a good choice. Simon's right, the end was ridiculous, but he should be safe for next week.

I better be watching Taylor and Katharine in the finals next week or I will be very unhappy with you, America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home