Don't call me Ms.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Best Sports Movies

I just finished watching one of my all-time most favorite movies ever, The Natural. Even if you don't like baseball (shame on you!), you should be able to enjoy this story. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen it, that last scene with the lights exploding is just plain awesome. I'm reminded of it every time I hear the fireworks echoing across to the lake from US Cellular Field.

Other sports movies of note:

Field of Dreams - Growing up in Iowa, how could I not love this one? And I have, of course, visited the Field of Dreams in Dyersville. It was an afternoon of good old-fashioned family fun. Of course, my siblings and I regularly did things like "HBP practice," so you might not have the same idea of fun.

Hoosiers - The best basketball film ever. And the best sports movie ever, according to ESPN. Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper - need I say more? Ok, fine, I will: "And boys, don't get caught watching the paint dry."

A League of Their Own - The best sports comedy. Back when Rosie O'Donnell was funny. Back when Tom Hanks was funny. Back when Jon Lovitz was only moderately creepy. All together now, "There's no crying in baseball!" That maxim applies to fastpitch softball, too, even if my coach senior year of high school didn't agree.

Caddyshack - This is only nominally a sports movie, in my opinion. (That's why it isn't the best sports comedy.) But it is set at a country club, much of the action is centered on golf, and it is so unbelievably funny I couldn't ignore it.

Remember the Titans
- A great story and a good film. And you can watch it with your mom without blushing. It's just plain sweet and fun.

And a few more worth a quick mention:
Major League, Rudy, Eight Men Out, Bend It Like Beckham (even if it is about soccer), Tin Cup, 61*

Now, talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic...oh wait, I just did.

2 Comments:

  • I really like "children's" sports movies for some reason. "The Rookie" and "Little Big League" are two of the sports movies I can watch over and over. :)

    The ones you listed are pretty awesome, too, especially Bend It Like Beckham!

    By Blogger Avid Diva, at 12:42 PM, May 24, 2006  

  • Rudy and Bend it Like Beckham are two of my favorite movies, and I'm *really* not a sports person, so that's saying something :)

    Although it is harder these days to watch Rudy without fighting back the urge to chant "Sam-WISE, Sam-WISE!" Ah, nerdy life.

    By Blogger Law Fairy, at 1:46 PM, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home